Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Gerald Brommer: From Line and Shape To Complex Surfaces

A clip from Gerald Brommer's DVD, From Line and Shape

So I can get in there with a pen and I can start to draw and make up new buildings. Now you can do this, all these things I've been doing the last couple of hours, with figure painting, still lifes, landscapes, animals, and just begin to draw in there. This is a nice fine line that draws beautifully, see on top of that gessoed surface it draws terrific. The gesso surface is just marvelous to work on and I can put some ink in there and get some fatter lines down there at the bottom. Some of these lines get nice and heavy, oh I love that. Look at how organic that line gets. It's just fat and thin and right next to that other line it just makes beautiful combination of things happen. We need some shapes up in here, a little bit darker, just get up in here and fill that space up.
Then I can always add more color to that. I can get my brush and make it a little bit darker behind the church on top up there, I can put another shape in here and really all that is underneath, all the papers are showing a little bit and making the textures very rich. I can blot a little bit on there and with that gesso on there I can lift things off of there. The most wonderful things begin to happen. I can wipe a little bit, blot, change color and shapes and things like that.
Look at this one, it's a completely different subject but you can see how these lines...this has gesso over paper over drawing so we have layers and layers of things happening and all those things begin to show through. See how intricate that can get with all these fine little lines in here. I have colored lines in there and I like to write a little calligraphy down in there that tells about the place there. But I just think that surface gets so rich.
Here's one of Monet's Garden. I did this from a sketch I did in France and these are all the flowers in Monet's Garden down there. And all these lines over that, the lines really pull it all together. The story in in the lines but the shapes make those lines speak and speak their language.